After what seems like forever, we are DELIGHTED to announce a CRAFT CHOCOLATE TAKEOVER of Canopy Market in Kings Cross, London, on the weekend of the 15th-17th October.
It’s a great way to celebrate Chocolate Week in the UK. Canopy Market is outside (but covered), and very easy to reach. It’s been over eighteen months since we last held any in person events: Way too long! So we are pulling out all the stops.
Makers and Bars
We’ll have a bunch of great craft chocolate makers from all of the UK for you to chat with, and try their new bars (and old favourites). We’ve Chocolarder coming from Cornwall, Bare Bones from Glasgow, Neary Nogs from Northern Ireland, Dormouse from Manchester, Solkiki, Pump Street, FireTree, Tosier and a host of other makers (hopefully some international makers … but we’ll see).
Cocoa Runners will also have a stand, and we’ll be featuring a host of new bars from some of our international makers including Hogarth’s Bread and Butter, Omnom’s 2021 Christmas bars, Original Beans’ new almond milk bar and Zotter‘s Advent Calendar
David Crichton, ex-MasterChef, and truffle maker extraordinaire, will also be attending so you can sample his latest creations. Kate Cavallin, of Cacao Latitudes, is bringing some fresh cocoa pods to taste as she talks about cocoa sourcing, farming and harvesting in Latin America and West Africa.
Talks, Tastings, and Pairings
In addition to David and Kate’s talks, we’re planning two days’ worth of tastings, pairings and talks.
Here are some of the pairings we’ve already ‘locked down’ (I never thought that expression would be welcome again!):
- Rachel McCormack; radio star, best selling author, and all around whisky expert; will be pairing a bunch of whiskies with craft chocolate,
- Ida and Rebecca from Corney & Barrow will be showing how to pair wine and chocolate (both reds and whites),
- There’ll be rum and chocolate pairings with Diplomatico,
- Maxwell, from Colonna Coffee, will show how to “cup” (coffee) and pair a range of coffees with craft chocolate,
- Ellen from Neal’s Yard Dairy will be showcasing the UK’s greatest cheeses and explore the similarities of how cheese, and craft chocolate are sourced and made.
And here are some of the talks we have planned:
- Sourcing cocoa; its ethics and environmental impact (with fresh cocoa pods to taste),
- New bars, new themes and new ideas from all our makers,
- The science of taste and flavour, where you’ll find out if you are a super taster (and what this really means),
- Cooking and using craft chocolate at home (with David Crichton sharing some of his master chef skills),
- How to pair craft chocolate with your book club (in collaboration with Katheryn Laverack).
We’d also love your help here with other suggestions and requests; so please let us know other pairings and talks you’d like to see/hear. Please just take a moment to complete this FORM. You could also comment below this post. Thank you in advance.
We will be releasing tickets over the next few weeks. Tickets will be between £3 and £7.50 per person, depending on the event. If you want early access, just register HERE to be first in line. (NOTE: coming to the market and meeting the makers at their stalls is all free; just turn up. It’s only the tastings and events, where we need to plan numbers, and where we’ll be suppling lots of chocolate, wine, whisky, coffee, cheese, ice cream and more, that we are charging a nominal fee.
In the interim, please see below for a host of great new bars from makers we look forward to once again be chatting to in person at Canopy Market from October 15th-17th. Please mark your calendars to come and say “hi” again in person!
Wishing everyone in the UK a great bank holiday weekend,
P.S. Canopy Market is held in the open air. But we know that not everyone can travel, or will feel comfortable about attending in person. So if you’d like us to record (and possibly live-stream) sessions, again, please let us know HERE or leave a comment below.