“This recipe for Cheat’s Chocolate Fondants is a simpler way of making and enjoying this iconic dessert. It doesn’t require any fancy equipment like special moulds. You won’t need to faff about with tiny shapes of chocolate ganache either. As long as you can get your hands on some cupcake cases, you can make these Cheat’s Chocolate Fondants!” Kelly at Maverick Baking.
- 4 large eggs
- 135g (⅔ cup) caster sugar
- 135g (9 tbsp) salted butter
- 150g (5 oz) dark chocolate
- 40g (⅓ cup) plain flour
- 25g (¼ cup) cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- Pieces of milk or dark chocolate
- Look out a 12-hole cupcake or muffin tin. Line 8-10 of the holes with paper, foil or silicone cases and dust them with some cocoa powder.
- Preheat your oven – 200 C / 180 C fan / gas mark 6 / 400 F.
- Pour your eggs and sugar into a large heatproof bowl. Place it over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together, ideally with an electric whisk, for a few minutes just until they are warm to the touch.
- Once warm, remove the bowl from the saucepan and continue to whisk the mixture for another 2-3 minutes or until thick and pale. Set aside.
- Melt together your butter and chocolate in a separate heatproof bowl, either in short blasts in the microwave or over the same pan of simmering water.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture, the flour, and the cocoa powder into the fluffy egg mixture. Gently whisk until just combined together into a smooth fluffy mixture.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture into your prepared cases, filling them just halfway up.
- Gently place a square of your milk or dark chocolate into the centre of the mixture in the cases.
- Fill the remaining space in your cases with the rest of your mixture.
- Place your tin into the preheated oven and bake for 6-7 minutes. The fondants should look baked on the outside and just slightly under-baked in the centre.
- Remove the tin from the oven and allow the fondants to cool for 5-10 minutes before plating them, this should be just long enough to help them hold their shape.
- Serve up your fondants with a dusting of cocoa, a dollop of whipped cream, or a spoon of ice cream.
These Cheat’s Chocolate Fondants can be kept for up to 4 days in an airtight container, and gently warmed to reheat. They are always best enjoyed fresh though!
Shop Our Cooking Chocolate Range
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking – Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 200g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 100% Cacao 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 63% Dark Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 44% Milk Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Madagascan Roasted Cocoa Nibs – 230g bag£9.95