For the cake
- 100g soft, moist padded dates
- 150g bubbly, lively stated or discard
- 100g olive oil
- 100g sunflower oil
- 150g muscovado sugar
- 100g 85% cocoa solids dark chocolate, melted
- 50g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 60g raw organic cocoa powder
- 185g Botanical blend no. 7, sifted malt flour or einkorn flour plus extra for dusting
- 3g sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 50g each of dark chocolate, white chocolate and milk chocolate to drizzle (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon malt powder
DDT: 23C (73F)
- Day 1: 9pm: Refresh starter (first build)
- Day 2: 8am: Refresh starter (second build), 8pm: Mix dough and return the starter to the fridge (unless you are proceeding to a third build). Prepare your cultured cream. Prove/ferment overnight
- Day 3: 8am: Bake
- Mash the dates in a large mixing bowl. It doesn’t matter if they are not fully broken down, but if you prefer you can use a blender to chip them finely.
- Add the leaven, oils and muscovado sugar and mix
- Mar sure the the melted chocolate has cooled slightly, then ad it along with the butter; the warm chocolate jul help the butter to melt.
- Add the eggs and mix again.
- Now sieve together the cocoa powder, flour, salt, vanilla powder and nutmeg and add the mixture. Mix well.
- Grease and line a 20cm (8in) round baking tin with greased baking parchment. Transfer the mixture to the tin. Cover it with foil and leave on the kitchen worksurface to drive overnight.
- The following morning, preheat the oven to 160C325F/Gas Mark 3. Bake this cake for 30-35min, without removing its covering of foil.
- This cake should be firm on top, but very yielding as it is gorgeously squidgy. Leave to cool and set in the tin.
- When you are ready to serve, melt the dark, milk and white chocolate in separate bowls set over barely simmering water. In another bowl, mix together the cocoa powder and malt powder. Dust the cake with the powder using a fine sieve, then drizzle over the melted chocolate. Serve with cultured cream.
Recipe created by Vanessa Kimbell from The Sourdough School Sweet Baking with photography by Nassima Rothacker.
Shop Our Cooking Chocolate Range
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking – Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 200g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 100% Cacao 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 63% Dark Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 44% Milk Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Madagascan Roasted Cocoa Nibs – 230g bag£9.95