Two Ingredient Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Mousse
This recipe comes from Hervé This’s Molecular Gastronomy and is suitable for vegans. The photos are by the wonderfully talented Sarah Fassnidge.
Unlike our classic two ingredient dark chocolate mousse, which is made from 63% cacao couverture and water, this mousse is made from unsweetened dark chocolate. The higher cocoa solids and cocoa butter present (i.e. no sugar!) means that it takes a lot more water to keep the ganache at a nice, soft consistency for mousse.
This is an incredibly potent dessert, so we suggest a much smaller serving size – perhaps just a shot glass would suffice. Best served with an espresso or black coffee to show off and enhance the flavour profile of the choc.
- 100g Water
- 2x bowls: one that will sit inside the other containing iced water
- Handful of ice
- Balloon whisk
- Spatula/spoon for decanting
- 4x shot glasses to serve
- Weigh out ingredients
- Prepare bowl with iced water
- Boil water
- Pour boiling water over chocolate and stir the chocolate with water until chocolate has melted
- Place bowl with water ganache in to the bowl of iced water and whisk the chocolate ganache
- Continue whisking (this will take a few minutes) until the chocolate ganache begins to thicken, the colour lightens slightly and the mixture starts to resemble an airy mousse
- The mousse will be done when the chocolate mixture starts to leave a ribbon on the surface as you lift the whisk out of the bowl. You are looking for a texture similar to softly whipped cream.
- Remove bowl from the ice bath.
- Immediately decant chocolate mousse into shot glasses. The mousse will continue to set slightly as it sits in the bowls.
It is easy to take the mousse too far. If this happens it will take on a grainy texture. All you have to do is reheat the mixture in a saucepan (or bain marie) to melt the chocolate again and repeat steps 5-9.
The mousse should be served at room temperature
Watch Our Tutorial
Shop Our Cooking Chocolate Range
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking – Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 200g£6.95
Make Your Own Chocolate Bar – Home Cooking Activity Kit£18.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 100% Cacao 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 63% Dark Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 44% Milk Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Madagascan Roasted Cocoa Nibs – 230g bag£9.95