“A classic fluffy vanilla muffin, golden on the outside with a tender centre. Tangy raspberries tinting every mouthful pink. Rich, fruity dark chocolate melting beautifully throughout.
You won’t miss the eggs or the dairy. In fact, these muffins are deceptive in their lightness, with the bold flavours masquerading as something much more indulgent. This recipe would be great in the summer when raspberries are at the peak of their season, but frozen raspberries allow these to be possible all year round. A bit of tangy freshness is always welcome in the gloom of winter. They’re no substitute for a salad, but they’re a deliciously satisfying breakfast or snack with the beneficial nutrients of fruit and cocoa.” Kelly at Maverick Baking.
- 300g (scant 2 cups) self-raising flour
- 160g (¾ cup) caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Handful of fresh or frozen raspberries (I use frozen)
- Handful of dark chocolate pieces
- 250ml (1 cup) milk (I use oat milk, but any non-dairy milk should work!)
- 80ml (⅓ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar, or lemon juice
- Preheat your oven – 220 C / 200 C fan / 400 F / gas mark 6 – and line a cupcake or muffin tin with 8-12 muffin cases, depending on how large or small you want them to be.
- In a large bowl, measure out the flour, sugar, salt, raspberries and chocolate pieces. Stir together for a few seconds to coat.
- In a separate bowl or jug, whisk together your milk, oil, vanilla extract, and vinegar until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir just until you have an even batter. Over-mixing at this stage can lead to chewy muffins, so be as careful as you can.
- Spoon your muffin batter evenly between your muffin cases, topping each with another raspberry or chocolate piece if you like.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, before turning the temperature down – 180 C / 160 C fan / 350 F / gas mark 4 – and baking for a further 15 minutes. By this point they should be well-risen and lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin.
Shop Our Cooking Chocolate Range
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking – Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 200g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 100% Cacao 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 63% Dark Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 44% Milk Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Madagascan Roasted Cocoa Nibs – 230g bag£9.95