A Very Ethical And Extremely Delicious Chocolate Cake
- 100g Dark Chocolate (c85% cocoa solids)
- 250g unsalted butter plus extra for greasing
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g dark muscovado sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon
- baking powder
- 60g cocoa powder
- 175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 3 tbsp unrefreshed 1 week old sourdough starter or rapeseed oil
- 50g white chocolate
- 50g dark chocolate (c 70% cocoa solids)
- Preheat the oven to 150C/130C Fan/Gas Mark 2.
- Grease and flour a 23cm round cake tin
- Break the dark chocolate into pieces and melt gently in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl does not touch the water, then leave to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter caster and muscovado sugars together. Stir in the melted chocolate, making sure it’s not too hot or it will melt the butter.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Sift the remaining dry ingredients together and add hem to the mixture
- Beat with an electric hand held mixer on full power for c 5 min, mixing the sourdough starter or oil in completely just before you finish, and transfer to the prepared baking tin
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 25minutes, then remove the foil and bake for a further 25-30min. This long, slow, genre bake ensures that the cake does not burn and almost ‘sets’. Please don’t overbake it.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
- To serve, melt the white chocolate and dark chocolate separately, in heatproof bowls over a pan of simmering water. Do not allow the water to touch the base of the bowl, but let the steam warm the base and sitr gently until the chocolate is melted.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate in a zig zag pattern over the cake and serve.
Recipe by Vanessa Kimbell, from Food For Thought, photography by Laura Edwards.
Shop Our Cooking Chocolate Range
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking – Cocoa Powder 200g£6.95
Make Your Own Chocolate Bar – Home Cooking Activity Kit£18.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 100% Cacao 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 63% Dark Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 44% Milk Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Madagascan Roasted Cocoa Nibs – 230g bag£9.95