- 25g white starter
- 75g white flour
- 25g raw organic cacao powder
- 100g water at 36C
- 10g organic raw cane sugar
- Mix all the ingredients in a pot, leaving room for the starter to rise again by half.
- Cover with a breathable lid and leave to ferment at an ambient temperature of 20-23C for 8-10h.
- Ideally use straight away to make a leaven. If that’s not possible, refrigerate and use for leaven within 8hours.
- Refrigerate the remainder in a covered pot until next needed.
- Refresh at least twice a week at minimum and 8-12hours before you make a leaven.
Recipe from Sourdough School by Vanessa Kimbell, photography by Nassima Rothacker.
Shop Our Cooking Chocolate Range
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking – Cocoa Powder 200g£6.95
Make Your Own Chocolate Bar – Home Cooking Activity Kit£18.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 100% Cacao 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 63% Dark Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Cooking & Baking 44% Milk Chocolate 230g£6.95
Cocoa Runners Madagascan Roasted Cocoa Nibs – 230g bag£9.95