Chris Brennan, founder of Pump Street Bakery, hails from the Caribbean and has always wanted to craft a bar from the West Indies. And boy has he succeeded with Crayfish Cacao! This bar has extraordinary depth of berry flavours that last and last and last. The bar also has Pump Street’s classic chunky texture enabling one to savour this depth.
ABOUT THE MAKER
After a long and successful career at IBM, international jet-setter Chris Brennan briefly retired before deciding to pioneer the making of sourdough and other breads in his idyllic countryside bakery in Orford, Suffolk. About a decade later, he and his daughter Joanna decided to delve into crafting award-winning chocolate in their eponymous bakery situated on Pump Street, and have won numerous awards for both their chocolates and their innovative packaging.
The source of these beans, Crayfish Bay Estate, is a farm in Grenada with some distinctive management practices. Kim Russel, the owner of the estate, has delegated the running of the estate, recruitment decisions, wage structure, working practises, etc to the workers. In return the workers receive 90% of the returns on the wet cacao. Kim keeps the other 10% and is responsible for the sweating, drying and marketing of the beans. A truly fair trade arrangement, with the returns split according to the amount of work performed by each party.